Friday, April 3, 2009

IF YOU HAVE TWO AND USE THEM BOTH IS IT USING THE STASH?

Wallpaper stripping continues. The wallpaper from the main entry area and hallway is now in the trash. The area by the front door was decorated with silvery/flocky/ridgey flowers in a mauve/pink/shiny combo (quite frankly, not my taste at all) and the border print that went down the hall, across a doorway and back up the other side of the hall was another flocky/ridgey floral, but in completely different colours (blue and yellow) from the door area. The remaining border print is in the room I have named the aquarium/cookbook librarium for lack of a better name. Since all the other rooms have names that are indicative of their function or contents, it works for me. 

The stash that was used the past few days? Well, you might think it doesn't count, but if you have two of something that you bought a couple of years ago and plan NEVER, EVER to buy or need again (a.) because all the wallpaper will be gone, and b.) because you will never, ever hang wallpaper again in your entire life), and use both of them, then it is using a stash which, in this case, is wallpaper stripper solution. I must question the instructions on this product. The solution is in a 650 ml bottle. (I assume, but the instructions don't say) The solution is to be poured into a bucket large enough to accommodate the 650 mls plus the required 7 litres of hot water (I ended up with over 1/2 bucket full) and to apply with a paint roller to the wallpapered walls, wait 15 minutes, reapply, wait another 15 minutes and scrape off the offending fugly wallpaper. The instructions say to "USE IMMEDIATELY". I do not understand how this could actually happen, unless one was trying to remove wallpaper from the floor and was able to dump the entire bucketful of solution on the floorpaper, swidge it about an area exactly large enough to use all of it, wait 15 minutes (while waiting - make more) and reapply, then scrape of the fugly floorpaper. I think I need to email the manufacturer and I am just in the mood to do so.

Dale, you say. However did you get yourself involved in the Great Wallpaper Caper when it is so much more gratifying to loll about in your sewing room with paper, coloured pencils, heat tools, that new package of Tyvek ... etc.? Well, I answer - can you read back to the blog about the dumpster bin? I am not going to refresh memories here - just look for the pictures of the blue dumpster and/or the guy on the ladder and you will get the general idea. Think sledgehammer and about 3 tons of bricks and marble.

After the painting of the dining room and living room (and cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, polishing, washing, putting backing, etc. associated therewith), the new roof and associated removal of the fugly fireplace and associated cleaning, dusting, vacuuming ... (and some other improvement project, but I can't remember what), it was (almost mutally) decided that more work was required. Since I am not a carpenter, I let Frank do the filling, sanding, hammering, sawing, ladder-climb-past-three-rungsing, lifting, and drywalling. In return, I got to whine and complain that I already cleaned, dusted, vacuumed, polished, washed, putted backed, etc. from the previous home improvements, make lazy dinners due to the fact that nothing has been cleaned, dusted, vacuumed, polished, washed, putted backed, etc. because this is an ongoing project and I have learned my lesson.

Since Frank has little (or no) patience with finicky work (hence his lack of skill at quilting, pattern drafting, wedding-dress making, embroidery, cross-stitch, artsy-quilty-melty stuff, calligraphy, etc.) (or two periods of 15 minute waiting) to strip the wallpaper from one area, I thought I can do this as long as I only have to climb three rungs of the ladder. So I said I would do it. So I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment